Dear Oliviero,

For sure cysteines can be disordered.
Sometimes you can find one conformation reduced and another conformation
oxidised if the cysteine
is solvent exposed. Also in well-resolved structures you can see a cysteine
taking part in a disulphide bond,
but only partially, one conformation being unbound. This can have to do with
how you treated your protein
with reducing agents but probably also depend on how easily reduced the
disulphide bond is.
Also cysteines can be modified by beta-mercaptoethanol if this chemical is
added in large amounts and the cysteines are solvent exposed.
More seldom I have seen double conformation alone of cysteines but I guess this
may occur as well.

It can be difficult to correctly model oxidised and reduced or native cysteines
in the same residue since the
residue names differ (and you can only have one name). Depending on occupancy I
usually use CYS only if
lower occupancy of the oxidised form or if higher occupancy of the oxidised
form CSO for both (could be other species too),
possibly with zero occupancy on the oxygen missing. Maybe there is better
suggestions?

Sorry not to be able to share any references.

Good luck!

Best regards,
Maria

> On 22 Apr 2024, at 10:55, Italo Carugo Oliviero
> <olivieroitalo.car...@unipv.it> wrote:
>
> Dears,
> is it possible for a cysteine to be conformationally disordered? It seems
> strange to me. If it were, it would almost certainly be exposed to the
> solvent and thus easily oxidized irreversibly. Do you perhaps have any
> information on conformationally disordered cysteines?
> I thank you,
> Oliviero

> https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/WA-JISC.exe?SUBED1=CCP4BB&A=1

Maria Håkansson, PhD,