On 2019-05-22 10:00 a.m., Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:

On May 22, 2019, at 6:57 AM, Stefan Skoglund via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
wrote:

ons 2019-05-22 klockan 08:45 +0000 skrev Wayne S via cctalk:
Funny, but Halon is outlawed and having it around did seem to bother
them. It was replaced with some other gas system that i can't
remember the name.

It is a gas bottle with gas under pressure - they dont like getting hot
they become explosive in that case.
Nitrogen.  I remember seeing an installation with a whole row of compressed
nitrogen bottles, looking a lot like a row of welding gas tanks.  It came with
major warning signs about the danger to personnel when it goes off.

I think Halon is far less dangerous because it doesn't just work by displacing
oxygen, though the details escape me.

        paul

It was reputed that you could breath the halon making it easier to exit the room.  One of the big dangers from halon discharge in a room with a raised floor was the under floor nozzles would fling floor tiles up into the air and also raise a lot of dust.  A coworker that was in a room during a halon dump broke a leg falling into the hole left by a displaced tile while running for the door.  Most flooding systems gave a warning alarm before they actually discharged and had an override so that the automatic system could be stopped.  I was never in a room during a discharge but I have seen video of it.  I have also heard stories of it displacing enough floor tiles to affect the stability of the floor leading to a collapse of the floor supports and all the equipment ending up resting on top of cables and everything else under the floor.

Previously there where comments made about plumbing under the floor, in my experience it was pretty common for water cooled equipment and also for air conditioners that used chilled water for cooling.  The current water cooled systems I am familiar with have a coolant loop inside the rack that includes heat exchangers that  is separate from the building chilled water supply.  Inside the machines there are "water" blocks in direct contact with CPUs and memory and also sometimes the back door of the rack has a heat exchanger built into it.  Hot air exits out the back and is cooled by the back door the intent is to reduce the load on room air conditioning.

Paul.

Halon was banned because it was implicated as one of the chemicals that damaged the ozone layer.  I recall one customer that had a CO2 flooding system