When you say “software drove hardware sales”  do you mean complete software
application systems or do you mean compilers available for the hardware so the
software teams had variety in what they could program?
Up to the ‘90’s, companies had big, expensive hardware and little to no canned
software applications so companies also had relatively cheaper software
developers to make custom programs.

Sent from my iPhone