>From: "G. L. `Griz' Inabnit" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>AMD 850 Thunderbird
>128 megs of PC100 RAM
>Abit KT7A-Raid
>numerous Western Digital hd's
>Debian linux - running SID (unstable)
>        (original install was SLINK, apt-get dist-upgraded as each release
>       became STABLE, until recent need demanded a move to SID [UNSTABLE] ).
>kernel 2.2.17 (predomanently [testing with 2.4.2})

>       When I install the debian package  cdrecord-dev 1.10a18-2  I am getting this
>as a result.

>>ROOT< |griz| ~ pts/1$ > cdrecord dev=0,1,0 blank=fast
>Cdrecord 1.10a18 (i686-pc-linux-gnu) Copyright (C) 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling
>cdrecord: Invalid argument. Cannot get mmap for 4198400 Bytes on /dev/zero.

>       When I pulled down the debian source and compiled it locally, I found that
>the resulting files worked without an difficulties.

So your non working binary has been compiled on a machine with a 2.4 Linux kernel.

Linux-2.4 recently added support for correcty working mmap() which i not present in
eralier versions of Linux.

As a general rule of thumb: never run a binary on an older OS release than that
it has been compiled on. If your cdrecord has been supplied to you by dabian,
it's a fault from debian not to distinguish between incompatible OS versions.

Jörg

       [EMAIL PROTECTED]               (uni)  If you don't have iso-8859-1
       [EMAIL PROTECTED]           (work) chars I am J"org Schilling