Hi Thomas,

As always, thank you for your helpful responses.

> The new session adds a new superblock, a new complete directory tree, and the
> content of data files which were newly added or overwritten by the session.

Ohhhh that makes sense.  I was thinking that the entire DVD had one superblock
at the beginning, and that couldn't be right, because how would it get updated?

> But as said, mounting older sessions imight be desirable with incremental
> backups. E.g. if i want to mount the backup state of three days ago,

I hadn't thought of that as a possible use.  We always date our backups and log
files in the filename, so if we want an older one we just go to the file with
the correct date.

A couple more questions:

I am trying to figure out if I can close a DVD without writing a new file to
it.  I searched the man page and came up with:

xorriso -dev /dev/sr1 -close on --

This looks like a good command -- it doesn't spit out errors as such -- but it
doesn't do anything.  I can still append data to the medium, so it didn't close
the disk.  But, if I write a file, as in:

xorriso -dev /dev/sr1 -close on -add closeme.txt --

Then the medium gets closed, and I can no longer write to it.  Is this the only
way to close the disk?  That is, do I have to write some file if I arbitrarily
decide it's time to close the disk?

Also, about status.  You said:

> The number of sessions on DVD-R is restricted to 99, on DVD+R the limit is
> 153.

This is very helpful to know, when combined with the number of tracks I have
written.  I figured out that:

xorriso -dev /dev/sr1 -status short

will give me the status that a normal write prints out without having to write
anything, which is useful.  It tells me how many sessions are on the disk, and
how much space has been used (including padding), and how much space is left.
My question is, is there a way to get the number of session left for the
medium?  Short of manually subtracting the number of sessions on the disk from
99, that is.

Thanks, and have a great day,

-Eric J. Richardson