> > Hello all, it seems that cegcc is quite dead, or people who use it
> > are happy with it (just like me).
>
> Did you know that I published cegcc with gcc 4.6.3 and other updates?
>
> I started the 4.7 update, but ran into so many merge conflicts that I
> postponed it.

Yes, I saw that. I also tried to port changes at some point to newer gcc, but
eventually I had problems with some dll's so I kept using older builds.

> > Now, with WinPhone8 it rejects the libs as invalid. Upcoming
> > VisualStudio and Windows 8 have ARM support out of the box. armasm
> > (which looks too similar to armasm that comes with arm's dev tools)
> > lists three types of machine targets: arm, thumb, armce. Any idea
> > what's different? Do they use different object format (quite
> > unlikely), or they simply added different CPU id for otherwise
> > identical objects?
>
> Reportedly, WinPhone8 is based on the Windows 8 (desktop) kernel, not
> on the WinCE kernel.  That may make a difference, even if only for the
> OS declaration.  Try objdump on WinPhone7 and 8 (native) binaries and
> look for differences.
>
> Since there is only official support for CIL code on WinPhone, there
> was no need for native code compatibility.

Yes, it seems that WinPhone8 sdk uses almost identical build of cl for arm as
Windows8 (only a couple of revisions different and some CRT quirks as usual). I
tried to see why exiting pure arm libs from WinCE aren't acceptable by tools
from WinPhone8 and it seems that the issue is only in that Machine type header:
now it needs to be IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_ARMNT (for Thumb-2, value is 0x01c4, not
sure if it's already published) instead of IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_ARM or
IMAGE_FILE_MACHINE_THUMB. Otherwise, it's pretty much the same. So, cegcc tools
could be patched to use different value for machine type and possibly it could
be accepted by tools from WP8.