Celtic and Old English Saints          26 October

      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
      * St. Cedd of the East Saxons
      * St. Alfred the Great
      * Ss. Aneurin and Gwinoc of Wales
      * St. Eata of Hexham
      * St. Bean of Aberdeen
      * St. Cuthbert of Canterbury
      * St. Eadfrid of Leominster
      =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

      St. Alfred the Great, King of the West Saxons (+899)

      When the Gospel was first preached in Britain, the island was
inhabited
      by Celtic peoples. In the 400's, pagan Germanic tribes, the Angles,
      Saxons, and Jutes, invaded Britain and drove the Christian Celts out
of
      what is now England into Wales, Scotland, and Ireland. The new
arrivals
      (called collectively the Anglo-Saxons) were then converted by Celtic
      missionaries moving in from the one side and Roman missionaries moving
      in from the other. (They then sent missionaries of their own, such as
      Boniface, to their pagan relatives on the Continent.)

      In the 800's the cycle partly repeated itself, as the Christian
      Anglo-Saxons were invaded by the Danes, pagan raiders, who rapidly
      conquered the northeast portion of England. They seemed about to
conquer
      the entire country and eliminate all resistance when they were turned
      back by Alfred, King of the West Saxons.

      Alfred was born in 849 at Wantage, Berkshire, youngest of five sons of
      King Aethelwulf. He wished to become a monk, but after the deaths (all
      in battle, I think) of his father and his four older brothers, he was
      made king in 871. He proved to be skilled at military tactics, and
      devised a defensive formation which the Danish charge was unable to
      break. After a decisive victory at Edington in 878, he reached an
      agreement with the Danish leader Guthrum, by which the Danes would
      retain a portion of northeastern England and be given other
concessions
      in return for their agreement to accept baptism and Christian
      instruction. From a later point of view, it seems obvious that such a
      promise could not involve a genuine change of heart, and was therefore
      meaningless (and indeed, one Dane complained that the white robe that
he
      was given after his baptism was not nearly so fine as the two that he
      had received after the two previous times that he had been defeated
and
      baptized). However, Alfred's judgement proved sound. Guthrum, from his
      point of view, agreed to become a vassal of Christ. His nobles and
chief
      warriors, being his vassals, were thereby obligated to give their
feudal
      allegiance to Christ as well. They accepted baptism and the presence
      among them of Christian priests and missionaries to instruct them. The
      door was opened
      for conversions on a more personal level in that and succeeding
      generations.

      In his later years, having secured a large degree of military security
      for his people, Alfred devoted his energies to repairing the damage
that
      war had done to the cultural life of his people. He translated
Boethius'
      "Consolations of Philosophy" into Old English, and brought in scholars
      from Wales and the Continent with whose help various writings of Bede,
      Augustine of Canterbury, and Gregory the Great were likewise
translated.
      He was much impressed by the provisions in the Law of Moses for the
      protection of the rights of ordinary citizens, and gave order that
      similar provisions should be made part of English law. He promoted the
      education of the parish clergy. In one of his treatises, he wrote:
      "He seems to me a very foolish man, and very wretched, who will not
      increase his understanding while he is in the world, and ever wish and
      long to reach that endless life where all shall be made clear."

      He died on 26 October 899, and was buried in the Old Minster at
      Winchester. Alone among English monarchs, he is known as "the Great."

      The writer G K Chesterton has written a long narrative poem about
      Alfred, called, "The Ballad of the White Horse." In my view, it would
be
      improved by abridgement (I would, for example, terminate the prologue
      after the line "And laid peace on the sea"), but I think it well worth
      reading as it stands, both for the history and for the theology.
      http://www.dur.ac.uk/~dcs6mpw/gkc/books/white-horse2.html

      A very nice statue of King and Saint Alfred
      http://www.berkshirehistory.com/maps/towns/images/wntgsq.jpg

      The statue, commissioned by Lord Wantage, and designed and carved in
      1877 by Count Gleichen, (a cousin of Queen Victoria), stands the town
      centre of Wantage. On the base of the statue the following words are
      found:

      "Alfred found learning dead and he restored it
      Education neglected and he revived it
      The laws powerless and he gave them force
      The church debased and he raised it
      The land ravaged by a fearful enemy from which he delivered it
      Alfred's name will live as long as mankind shall respect the past."

      Winston Churchill, not usually reputed for his modesty, when being
told
      that he must be the greatest Englishman that ever lived is supposed to
      have replied "No ! The greatest Englishman that ever lived was King
      Alfred".

      PRAYER:
      O Sovereign Lord, who didst bring thy servant Alfred to a
      troubled throne that he might establish peace in a ravaged land
      and revive learning and the arts among the people: Awake in us
      also, we beseech thee, a keen desire to increase our
      understanding while we are in this world, and an eager longing
      to reach that endless life where all will be made clear;
      through Jesus Christ our Lord, who liveth and reigneth with
      thee and the Holy Spirit, one God, for ever and ever.

     Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:29 am

       Show Message Option

      Use Fixed Width Font
      Unwrap Lines