I should add that the hang occurs after an unknown amount of time.

Are we talking days, hours, or minutes here? I use ssh all the time to log into the systems I manage, but they are all on the LAN. I often log into my home CentOS system, and keep the connection up for an entire work day (8+ hours).

I currently have some ssh sessions that have been running for at least a few weeks. When the connection hangs, are you still able to disconnect it using "~." (make sure you hit return before you try that escape sequence).

Alfred