On Sun, 5 Aug 2007, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Scott Ehrlich
Sent: Saturday, August 04, 2007 8:43 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS vs RedHat packages

On Sat, 4 Aug 2007, Shawn Everett wrote:

I've got some basic issues with a critical server I'm
about to set up,
and if I cannot get beyond said issues, I may opt to try
CentOS.  Seeing
that CentOS is free (can't call RedHat for support), I'm
wondering if I
should try and make the case for CentOS over RedHat.  Once
the choice is
made, it may be next to impossible to revert to the other
version (RH vs
CentOS).

Hi Scott,

If you explain the "basic issues" you are having we might
be able to help
you out.

I have installed Oracle 10g and Veritas Netbackup on CentOS
servers with no
problem at all.  I've been 100% happy with how things have worked.

If this really is a critical server, I would suggest going
with the vendor
supported distribution.  Running an (untested to you)
distribution that
you are not completely familiar with (on a critical server)
is a recipe
for disaster.

The basic issue I have encountered is, after freshly installing RHEL5
64-bit Server on a Dell Poweredge 2950, everything is fine.
After logging
in for the first time, I configure services as I want via
system-config-services. But after doing so, and rebooting, at
first the
filesystem claims there is a system error and prompts for the root
password for a fsck, or control-D to reboot.

Scott, do you remember what the system error was at boot?

It may be that config-services turned off an essential system startup
service.

I found 'chkconfig' much more reliable and easy to use on the CLI than
config-services in the GUI.

I'll check that out - thanks!

Also what method did you use to reboot your system after config-services?

I forget - either reboot at the command window, or reboot from the gui. Never a "hard" reboot.

I opt to reboot, and the system then complains of python
errors, but there
are no more system errors.  But, when I revisit
system-config-services, I
immediately experience python errors.

Possible file-system corruption in and around where the python libraries
are since they were last used... Maybe due to a dirty shutdown?

I always go for a "software" shutdown where/when possible - never power cord nor power switch.

To try and potentially help resolve this problem, I recently
updated the
BIOS and some of the firmware.   I then performed a fresh
install again.
I then downloaded RH's Enterprise 5 Supplement ISO, along with Dell's
OpenManage ISOs for Enterprise 5.   I'm hoping something
among this back
of changes will help solve the python configuration problem.

Did you install the latest dell drivers for your controller (Perc 5/i?),
the drivers for these controllers are updated/fixed frequently.

I let RH install its own drivers. I will probably then simply reinstall the OS again, this time with linux dd to utilize the Dell PERC drivers.

Unfortunately, I was unable to get the PERC firmware to successfully update with Dell's utility. I may ask them for a resolution on that, unless I can overcome it another way.

If not, I may opt to see how well CentOS 5 handles things.

It will unfortunately handle them exactly the way RHEL does. As it is
RHEL...

I'm mostly interested in the PostgreSql and Java pieces.

And a stable and reliable system to run them on I hope. ;-)

Of course.

If it comes down to it, I could always place a trouble call
with Dell and
RedHat and see if either of them has a helpful solution.

And the forecast calls for pain...

Anyone on the list experience the same kind of problem, and find an
answer?  If so, what was it?

At this point it really can be anything, I would start by getting the
latest PERC driver from Dell and installing it, uses dkms to keep it
current on updated kernels. You will need cc, binutils, kernel-devel
installed before hand for it to fully work right on the initial
install.

Always pre-installed - never know when they will be needed...

The server is not connected to the Internet, and likely never
will be -
strictly out-of-box CDs.

Should not make a difference, except you will have a hard time getting
the latest bug-fixed and security-fixed versions of the system.

I would look into finding a way to get this puppy to get the latest
updates, either via proxy server or internal update server.

I've got other methods.

I'll try your suggestions when I return to work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Scott

-Ross