    wrote:

     >     Hi all,
     >
     >     Since upgrading to perl 5.8.5-36.el4_5.2 I have had no end of
    problems,
     >     starting with needing compress::zlib which I got from
    rpmforge, then I
     >     had to reinstall scalar::util to get mailscanner working but
    now I
     >     can't
     >     install or upgrade any perl modules.
     >     Has anyone else had problems or can someone tell me what I've
    done wrong
     >     please?
     >
     >     regards
     >     tom
     >

     > tom ...
     >
     > try to trouble shoot ...
     >
     > shell> perl -MCPAN -e shell cpan> install DBI
     > cpan> install DBD::mysql
     >
     > what the error message ?
     >
     > ---
     > shibu

    Thanks for replying shibu.

    [EMAIL PROTECTED] razor-agents-2.84]# perl -MCPAN -e shell

    There seems to be running another CPAN process (pid
    23858).  Contacting...
    Other job not responding. Shall I overwrite the lockfile? (Y/N) [y] y

    cpan shell -- CPAN exploration and modules installation (v1.7602)
    ReadLine support enabled

    cpan> install DBI
    CPAN: Storable loaded ok
    Going to read /root/.cpan/Metadata
       Database was generated on Sat, 10 Nov 2007 22:36:34 GMT
    Running install for module DBI
    Running make for T/TI/TIMB/DBI-1.601.tar.gz
    CPAN: Digest::MD5 loaded ok
    perl: symbol lookup error:

/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.8.5/i386-linux-thread-multi/auto/Compress/Raw/Zlib/Zlib.so:

    undefined symbol: Perl_Gthr_key_ptr
    [EMAIL PROTECTED] razor-agents-2.84]#

    I can't find any other cpan shell running either but I get that msg each
    time it exits like this.

tom ...do you have another version of perl already installed in your system...may be that's causing this error.

---
shibu

I installed perl 5.8.8 via cpan into /usr/local/lib earlier today, maybe thats causing the lock but I only did that as a last resort as I was getting this type of error trying to upgrade modules...weird

The most recent version "3.24" of the module "Text::ParseWords"
is part of the perl-5.8.8 distribution. To install that, you need to run
  force install Text::ParseWords   --or--
  install N/NW/NWCLARK/perl-5.8.8.tar.gz

not sure how to remove that either.

Oh centos 4.5