Over at the IEEE 802, we are voting ballots on wording that can be interpreted on way with the Webster dictionary and another with the Oxford dictionary.

So I am right about iptables controlling routing and you are right about iptables NOT controlling routing, only influencing it. What does 'control' mean in this context? IEEE is really big on state machines and truly covers the transfer of 'control' from one layer to another. Look at the MLME in 802.11. Look at the 802.1X machines. So since I have to live this control architecture and work in live debates about what layer is controling what, I have a particular language set.

Kernel routing code makes decision, iptables can influence that decision. :P

BTW, should we table this debate? Webster says that means stopping, 'taking the subject off the table.' Oxford says that means to start, 'placing the subject on the table.' Boy did we have some moments back in the mid-90s with the ISO crowd descended on the IETF. Also can we reach a concensus here? Webster will accept a majority, Oxford wants complete agreement. (Or at least that is what these sources said back in the mid-90s when we lived Bernard Shaw's line of: 'Two nations separated by a common language')

^O^

:)

Now I have to hop over to the Asterisk list to figure why with one firewall the INVITE properly redirects the RTP to the RTP server, and the with the other firewall this is not in the INVITE so the RTP flow does not..... ARGH!!!!!

I hope you are not trying to get around a double nat situation. client -> nat <-> nat <- asterisk.

I never managed to get things to work in that scenario. I have a vpn setup to get things to work.