Joseph L. Casale wrote:

Given my experience in Linux is limited currently, what do you guys use to monitor logs such as ‘messages’ on your centos servers? I had a hardware failure that happened in between me manually looking (of course…). I would hope it might have a some features to email critical issues etc…

Depends on if you're monitoring just one server or a bunch.

I'd google for these things:

LogWatch
epylog
big syster
oak

Then there's various things that read syslog and can read reports for you. Google around for things like syslog-ng, nagios, zenoss, whatnot, if you're looking at larger scope.

Jed