badclock# ksh ./xenclockdrift
ntpd: time slew -0.000193s
ntpd: time set -57.356377s
ntpd: time slew +0.002352s
ntpd: time slew +0.003018s
ntpd: time set -57.417488s
ntpd: time slew +0.012089s
ntpd: time slew -0.000985s

These domains are fully virtualized and set up identically, except
"badclock" is allocated two processors versus one processor for
"goodclock".  DomU's clock is running normally.

I'm not sure with Xen, but on VMWare one should not be using NTP at
all.  Time syncing should be done with the vmware tools and the host,
with NTP only running on the host (not the guests).  Using NTP on a
vmware system will result in similar behavior to what you are seeing
here.

ntpd is not running. I'm using it here manually to show the clock and how it periodically jumps ahead by 57 seconds.

Jack