On Fri, Feb 21, 2014 at 6:50 PM, Phoenix, Merka <merka.phoe...@hp.com> wrote:
>>> add disks to an LSI raid array periodically to increase the amount of
>>> available space for business needs
>>> sdc1 is a PV in a VG that holds production data and must not become
>>> unavailable at any time
>>> How do we grow sdc1, online?
>
> If you are using the Logical Volume Manager (LVM ) on Linux, you should not
> have to grow the PV each time.
> Instead, carve Logical Units (LUNs) out of the RAID array and present them to
> the operating system as disk devices that can be initialized as physical
> volumes (PVs).

My raid controller doesn't permit adding luns to an exiating array
that has a single lun.  It requires it to bave originated as a
multiple-lun array.
Even if it did permit this, I need the number of PVs to stay fairly
consistent for logistical reasons.  I cannot have a new one come into
existance every time I grow the array.

> While you can resize the H/W RAID "online", and add/remove PVs to a VG
> "online", you still need to unmount a filesystem before resizing both the LV
> and the corresponding filesystem that was created on the LV. Attempting to
> resize a filesystem that is mounted and actively being used is just asking
> for data corruption.

Not true, most filesystems support online grow/expansion.  The ones
I'm using do, and it works fine, and is fairly quick.

I am aware of how lvm, and filesystems work.  I don't need help with
those.  I'm asking one thing: how to get the kernel to notice that a
partition has grown.