On 7/8/2014 11:13 AM, Richard Pierce wrote:
> I personally used a 'portable' 300-baud TI Silent 700 which printed on
> thermal paper and had an acoustic coupler on the side of it for those old
> phone handsets with the two circular cups. We dialed in and waited with great
> anticipation to see the next word coming from the remote machine. You also
> quickly learned what Ctrl-R was for due to the delete key didn't work very
> well‎ once the typed character was printed on thermal paper. Yes, 300 and
> 1200 baud were slow and taught us something about patience.

in college (early 1970s) my roommate had a GE Terminet 1200 which was a
120cps printer with plain paper and a ribbon, and an integral acoustic
coupler.   this was lightyears--er--12X faster than the defacto Teletype
stuff most folks had.  But, until circa 1980, most of my actual work was
with punchcards and/or (later) direct connect VDTs at 9600 baud.   I do
still have a USR Courier 2400E somewhere in storage, which was a 2400
baud modem that had data compression and could send plain ascii at about
9600 bps, along with a couple Racal Vadic 9600-ish modems.