On 16/09/2014 22:35, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
I would use riser 1. If you use riser 2, you will create more resistance to airflow in area where already is one big heater. I assume, there are no separators of airflow going from front to end (or from middle where the set of fans are usually situated). My guess would be chips facing down have much less effect on effectiveness of cooling unless your configuration is such that airflow path along chips (i.e. underneath that board in riser 1) is totally blocked.

I concur here, my guess is to use riser 1

If it were me, I would add the temperature sensors to my monitoring and change it if I thought it was too high.

If you have two servers have one in riser 1 and the other in riser 2 - Assuming the manufacturer hasn't got a recommendation or warning about using either. I would then add both to monitoring, and if there was any massive difference in temperature or perhaps even performance (not all PCI-Es are the same) then I would schedule a maintenance window to swap one of the cards in one of the servers after deployment.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey, CCNP, CCNA, CCNAS
NetSecSpec Ltd