On 2/27/2015 10:46 PM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
I'm at a loss to explain how I can delete 190MB worth of data, reboot the
instance and still be at 100% usage.

190MB is less than one percent of 9.9GB aka 9900MB

BTW, for cases like this, I'd suggest using df -k or -m rather than -h to get more precise and consistent values.

also note, Unix (and Linux) file systems usually have a reserved freespace, only root can write that last bit. most modern file systems suffer from severe fragmentation if you completely fill them. ext*fs, you adjust this with `tune2fs -m 1 /dev/sdXX`. XFS treats these reserved blocks as inviolable, so they don't show up as freespace, they can be changed with xfs_io but should be modified at your own risk.