Joseph L. Casale wrote:
If I have a production mailserver and a series of Linux servers that all
develop mail from logging etc, it seems slightly redundant to have so many smtp
servers installed on each of those boxes simply forwarding mail as I choose to
not have local delivery. Is there a mechanism possible in CentOS to setup a
pointer to a different mailserver such that programs like mailx could still
send mail?

Currently I have postfix setup with maps so that root on server A has mail sent from
[EMAIL PROTECTED]<mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> and that is relayed to my
production box. It just seems like it is an additional service to manage on so many
hosts?

you don't need an smtpd server (listener) but you need a daemon that queues mail and sends it to the relay host. programs such as cron cannot handle mail delivery failures.

it is a wrong approach to try to minimize daemons. having many daemons that do only one task is better than a monolythic service that does everything. In other words, look at the plan9 side, not at the windows side.