On 9/4/2015 12:13 PM, Kanwar Ranbir Sandhu wrote:
Hi Everyone,

Years ago the recommended way to install Sun's java was to install from
the tar.gz file because the RPM they supplied did some bad things
(clobbered other files or something...can't remember the details). Is
this still the case with Oracle's java RPM, or is it now safe to
install?

we're happy using the RHEL/CentOS provided OpenJDK 6 or 7, all our j2se stuff just works....

ok, we had one anomaly relating to figuring out the local time zone, long story short, the lowest impact fix was for root to

        # echo "America/Los_Angeles" > /etc/timezone

(using your local canonical timezone name, of course!)