On 11/09/2015 12:36 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 11/09/2015 08:34 AM, Steve Clark wrote:
Has anyone using CentOS 6 been able to successfully set an mtu larger
than 9710
on an interface.
Maximum frame size varies from implementation to implementation:
http://pages.uoregon.edu/joe/jumbo-clean-gear.html

It's also worth noting that that due to offloading features in modern
NICs, there's often very little benefit to large frames. Since you
*really* need all of the devices on any network segment to use the same
MTU, the best option might be to eliminate jumbo frames (and test the
impact of doing so in terms of throughput and CPU utilization).

Hi Gordon,

Thanks for the response.

The real issue relates to doing pcap on an interface that is
hooked to a span port. The super jumbo frames cause rx_long_length_errors:
2701813
which show up in our monitoring software and the customer thinks there are
error on his
network.

So I wanted to increase the mtu on the interface so these errors would not be
reported.

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves Managed Services, LLC.*