Ciao Alessandro,

On 11/09/2015 05:01 PM, Alessandro Baggi wrote:
Hi list,
how to perform a differential backup using rsync?

On web there is a great confusion about diff backup concept when
searched with rsync.

Users says diff because it copy only differences. For me differential is
backup from last full backup.

Which is basically the same...if you always use your last full backup as "base" directory. Use rsyn's --link-dest option to achieve this. Nice thing: Unchanged files will just be hardlinked to the original files and won't use additional disk space, but still each dataset is a coopmlete backup. There is no need to combine several incremental or differential backups to restore a certain state.

Mike Rubel's page has already been mentioned. On http://www.drosera.ch/frank/computer/rsync.html I describe an alternate mechanism (using above mentioned --link-dest and an rsync-server) which overcomes some of the - imho - shortcomings of Mike's setup.

And: rsync is a fan-tas-tic backup tool ;-)

HTH
Frank