On 1/4/2016 4:26 PM, Rob Kampen wrote:
It seems most SSD are in laptop drive size, shape and interface - thus not a good fit into a server motherboard unless I'm missing something. - what devices are you using?

server motherboards don't care what size the drives are, that's a function of your server *chassis*. You can always put a 2.5" drive in a 3.5" adapter, but many modern servers are designed specifically for 2.5" drives, especially servers using SAS.

example, note the two servers on the top of the closer rack.
https://pierce.smugmug.com/By-Date/2012/2012-02-09/i-8WfCvLJ/0/X3/IMG_0318-X3.jpg

those are HP DL180g6, each holds 25 2.5" SAS hotswap drives in a 2U form factor.

I *do* recommend getting 'enterprise' grade SSDs that have 'supercaps' to ensure they can flush their write buffers on a power failure.