On Mon, 1 Feb 2016 19:22, H <agents@...> wrote:

I have installed the kate editor on Centos 6.7 but it seems to be a very old
version, 3.3.4, installed as part of kdesdk. On Centos 7 I can simply run 'yum
install kate' but, alas, not on Centos 6.

What is the recommended way of updating kate on Centos 6?

Thank you.

First you find out from wich package (rpm) your kate is.

either you try to as yum: "yum search kate",

or you do the full monty:
locate the binary "type kate", usually /usr/bin/kate,
then you ask rpm from which package this file comes:
"rpm -qf /usr/bin/kate"
take the main package name (the part before the version numbers)
and feed it to yum:

yum update [kate-package-name]

YMMV, depening on what repos you have enabled or not.

You can search most of what is available via pkgs.org,
for kate, for example

http://pkgs.org/search/kate

then select "Centos 6" (maybe you have to scroll down for that)

The EPEL repo seems to have version 0.3.8 of libkate at least.

Have a nice week.
 - Yamaban