On 5/24/2016 2:08 PM, Pat Haley wrote:

We are running Centos 6.7 - 2.6.32-573.22.1.el6.x86_64 on a Quanta Cirrascale, up to date with patches. We have had a couple of instances in which the hard drives have become renamed after reboot (e.g. drive sda is renamed to sdc after reboot). One time this occurred when we rebooted following the installation of a 10GB NIC card, another time after we tried to install mellanox drivers (MLNX_OFED_LINUX-3.2-2.0.0.0-rhel6.7-x86_64). Currently we are unable to boot because that drive has been renamed.

Our questions are

 * Has anyone else experienced similar issues?
* What can we do to prevent such renaming in the future

don't use device names in your fstab, use labels, or use LVM, or whatever.