Hello,

does it in any respect (throughput/performance, cpu load, I/O load, resilience, ...) matter, if one mounts subdirectories of an NFS (v3) export into separate directories or if one just mounts the parent directory?

I.e. like this:

  server:/export/base/a -> /mnt/a
  server:/export/base/b -> /mnt/b
  server:/export/base/c -> /mnt/c
  server:/export/base/d -> /mnt/d
  server:/export/base/e -> /mnt/e

or simply like this:

  server:/export/base   -> /mnt

I would guess, that it doesn matter at all, but at $work the standard setup on all cluster nodes is, to mount >20 subdirectories from the NFS server individually and the justification is, that is more performant and reliable.

Can this be confirmed (or denied)?

I couldn't find this method of "NFS performance tuning" mentioned anywhere and from a management perspective the sheer amount of mounted filesystems makes the list confusing and harder to troubleshoot.

Any thoughts?

Regards
frank