well it's simple really

the ssh-copy-id routine does not copy [in my case] the client /root/.ssh/id_rsa.pub to the server

man says thats the default but that's not what is happening.

whatever it copies allows me to run a shell script from a console without passwords but not from cron

hmmm cute!

When I copied the contents of client ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub to server ~/.ssh/authorized_keys

network transfers in scripts run from cron are all working now

What I can't understand is how some were working and some were not

*ssh-add -L* produces a key which appears to be out of date

something I am missing here but I do now have an operating network.

Thanks Joseph, I just started again and did it the 'old' way.