On 02/02/2017 10:12 PM, TE Dukes wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: CentOS [mailto:centos-boun...@centos.org] On Behalf Of Matt
Garman
Sent: Thursday, February 2, 2017 8:52 PM
To: CentOS mailing list
Subject: Re: [CentOS] Spotty internet connection

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 7:13 PM, TE Dukes <tdu...@palmettoshopper.com>
wrote:
Lately I have been getting slow  and partial page loads, server not
found, server timed out, etc.. Get knocked off ssh when accessing my
home server from work, etc. Its not the work connection because I
don't have problems accessing other sites, just here at home and my home
server.
Is there any kind of utility to check for failing hardware?
I have the exact same problems from time to time via Comcast.  Mine comes
and goes, and lately it hasn't been too bad.  But when it comes, it's down
for
very small amounts of time, maybe 30-90 seconds, which is just long enough
to be annoying, and make the service unusable.

When it was really bad (intermittent dropouts as described above, almost
every night during prime time, usually for several hours at a
time) I wrote a program to do constant pings to several servers at once.
If
you're interested, I'll see if I can find that script.  But, conceptually,
it ran
concurrent pings to several sites, and kept some stats on drops longer
than
some threshold.  Some tips on a program like this: use IP addresses,
rather
than hostnames, because ultimately using a hostname implicitly does a DNS
lookup, which likely requires Internet service to work.  I also did
several
servers at once, so I could prove it wasn't just the one site I was
pinging.
Included in the list of servers was also the nexthop device beyond my
house
(presumably Comcast's own router).  Use traceroute to figure out network
paths.

After running this for a while---before I called them with the
evidence---the
problem magically cleared up, and since then it's been infrequent enough
that I haven't felt the need to fire up the script again.  When it comes
residential Internet, I am quite cynical towards monopoly ISPs like
Comcast...
so maybe they saw the constant pings and knew I was building a solid case
and fixed the problem.  Or maybe enough people in my area complained of
similar problems and they actually felt uncharacteristically caring for a
second.
I haven't been there in a while, but in the past, I've gotten a lot of
utility out
of the DSLReports Forums[1].  There are private forums that will put you
in
direct contact with technical people at your ISP.
It can sometimes be a good way to side-step the general customer service
hotline and get in touch with an actual engineer rather than a script
reader.
Maybe not, but worst-case you're only out some time.
Also, you might post this same question to one of the public forums over
there, as there seems to be lots of knowledgeable/helpful people hanging
out there.  (Despite the name, it's not only about DSL, but consumer ISPs
in
general.)

[1] http://www.dslreports.com/forums/all

Thanks for the info.

I've seen that site before so I might check it out.

My router/modem has a log. Its loaded with errors I can't interpret. I
googled a portion of it and landed on TWC forums.

Missing BP Configuration Setting TLV

http://forums.timewarnercable.com/t5/Connectivity/Predictable-disconnects/td
-p/1016

Didn't see much of an answer.

Hopefully it's a temporary thing as it just started.  I don't think it's a
problem on my end, maybe, but doubt it. I'll give it another day or so.

Thanks!!

Hi,

What kind of cable modem/gateway do you have? Just wondering because my 12 year
old Toshiba finally
crapped out and Spectrum gave me a new one. Its and ARRIS TG1682G and it only
gives me a private IP not
like the old one which gave me the public IP so I can't ssh to home from work
anymore, so I am wondering
how you do it?

Thanks,
Steve