On 08/03/17 10:38, John Hodrien wrote:
On Wed, 8 Mar 2017, Giles Coochey wrote:

ifconfig enp0s25 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0
route add default gw 192.168.0.254 enp0s25
echo nameserver 8.8.8.8 > /etc/resolv.conf
echo nameserver 8.8.4.4 >> /etc/resolv.conf

Oh okay, you really do want to back away from Redhat entirely. That's
entirely your choice.

What you end up with if you take this approach widely is effectively
your own
linux distribution.

Not really, Redhat/Centos has a lot to offer, but for me, networking is a one-time configuration, and the best way to configure it is using something that falls within this principle:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KISS_principle

I'm not flaming NetworkManager, I'm just stating that for many (perhaps most), it is over-engineered for a server orientated distribution. I can run with the script above on 30 server instances, and it doesn't, as yet, break any of the other features of Centos that I enjoy.

--
Regards,

Giles Coochey
+44 (0) 7584 634 135