On 04/11/2017 01:33 PM, m.r...@5-cent.us wrote:
Pete Biggs wrote:
    We've been using pxeboot to pull up a menu, to build or rebuild
machines for years. We have this new server, and it fails. Times out.
What's happening is that it tries in this order
         .../pxelinux.cfg/b8945908-d6a6-41a9-611d-74a6ab80b83d
        .../pxelinux.cfg/01-88-99-aa-bb-cc-dd
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8025B
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8025
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A802
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A80
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A8
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0A
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C0
        .../pxelinux.cfg/C
        .../pxelinux.cfg/default

The first are MAC addresses, etc.
To be pedantic, the first one is a MAC address, the others are hex
versions of IP addresses - i.e. 192.168.2.91 (the discovered DHCP IP
address)
I understand all that.
  I want it to pull default. It takes
*minutes* to time out each option, so after a dozen or 15 min, when it
gets to defaul, tftp has timed it out.
It shouldn't time out on trying to retrieve a file if the TFTP server
is responding - each attempted retrieval should return a "not found"
rather than sitting there doing nothing. Trying symlinking the MAC
address filename to 'default' so it retrieves it first before any
timeout could have happened.
You'd think. And as I said, this has been working for years, on three or
four OEM's hardware. Suddenly, there's this new box from Penguin that's
IBM-based, and it's using  something called "openether.org" firmware, and
it takes minutes between timeouts, instead of seconds. I'm talking to the
OEM, but trying to figure out what's going on. I haven't found a timeout
on the server side, though I suspect there is one, but I really *don't*
want to make it 20 min. I've also just been googling, trying to find out
if -mapfile for tftp will let me rename what it's looking for to
"default", but that search is going nowhere, fast.
Also, you might like to try tcpdump to see what is actually happening
on the TFTP port.
I'm under the impression I know - the client *tells* me what it's looking
for, in the order above, but it sits there, and sits there, before it
tries the next option.

        mark

Whatever openether.org is, it sounds buggy.

I do a lot of pxe and your post intrigued me so I poked around some and when I
try openether.org, it redirects to www.openether.org and fails.

Might I suggest this page:

http://www.syslinux.org/wiki/index.php?title=PXELINUX.

There is some discussion of broken pxe stacks and just as a test for you, how
about pxe on a floppy/cdrom/usb key?  I've done crazy things like that on
occasion.

One other possibility that just occurred to me is it may not be a bug per se, but a UEFI pxe boot attempt... Which could do this too. I just *LOVE* UEFI pxe and someday I will find the person who thought it up in a dark alley and make them show me a universal setup.