On 07/31/2017 07:15 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 07/30/2017 02:07 PM, Walter H. wrote:
On 30.07.2017 20:22, Johnny Hughes wrote:
On 07/30/2017 09:41 AM, Walter H. wrote:
On 30.07.2017 14:29, Johnny Hughes wrote:
I personally have a Fedora machine that I keep updated and do some work
on all the time learning/testing.  I just seamlessly upgraded it from
Fedora 25 to Fedora 26 using a couple of dnf commands .. awesome
experience actually.
because of this feature to upgrade from one release to the next, I
thought to test this on my old computer;
fedora itself works fine, but this upgrade from 25 to 26 broke the
vmware workstaion completely ...
it doesn't work any more, any hints in net which could be found don't
work ...
and this was the goal to have a linux running with vmware workstation
instead of my old windows ...

but as it seems there is no way of achiving this ...

Looking at VMWare Workstation, it does not seem to run on Fedora at all.
It seems to run on :

      Ubuntu 16.04
      Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7.1
      CentOS 7.1
      Oracle Linux 7
      openSUSE 13.2
      SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 12

So, I'm not sure how it was running on Fedora 25 to get messed up by an
upgrade to Fedora 26.

with Fedora 25 everything worked fine, even the upgrade from VMware Wkst
12.5.6 to 12.5.7 with automatic recompilation of neccessary kernel modules
without my intervention ...
and the same when a kernel upgrade among other updates occured on Fedora
25, everything worked fine ...

but the upgrade from F25 to F26 killed my VMware Workstation :-(
even the updates which occured after this upgrade didn't help ...
Running external things like VMWare Workstation (or other 3rd party
custom compiled apps) is exactly what enterprise distros like RHEL,
CentOS, Ubuntu LTS, SUSE SLES are designed for .. running things already
compiled for a long period of time while providing security updates.

It is not just kernel modules that need to be compiled to run on a give
linux distribution, but everything that uses any specific shared
libraries linked against has to be compatible as well as the main shared
libraries (glibc).

Uh, I run VMWare workstation just fine on my F26 upgraded machine. No, it didn't work when I upgraded, but it's trivial to fix.

http://rglinuxtech.com/?p=1939

This link gets you a running workstation in about 5 minutes. No, this wasn't really a Fedora issue, it's a VMWare issue. You have to remember, Fedora /is/ bleeding edge packages and sometimes crap breaks. If you looked on the internet for a fix to this, you didn't look hard enough, this link is one of the first to pop up. In fact, anytime a new kernel is installed, I check this site to see how much of a PITA it'll be to reboot the kernel and install the modules.

Personally, I would rather deal with these headaches on my Fedora box than I would on a CentOS box. Primarily because I like the latest packages (in some cases I need them) and, I'm not freaked out about little things like VMWare Workstation needing some massaging to get nice with the OS.

--
Mark Haney
Network Engineer at NeoNova