On Jul 31, 2017, at 4:27 PM, Leroy Tennison <le...@datavoiceint.com> wrote:

> some commands (or command options) are only supported on later releases, the
> man pages don't say this.

You only run into that problem when trying to use man pages from one system but
then run commands on a very different system.  The man pages actually installed
on the system you’re running the command on lists only those options that are
supported by that version of the command.

> Does anyone know of a source of information listing the command, option and
> version it is implemented in?

The closest thing I’m aware of is the man page collection at unix.com:

    http://www.unix.com/man-page/linux/1/ls/

They don’t have man pages for absolutely every version of Linux — that would
require hundreds of sets! — and it only includes commands in the base system,
not those for add-on packages.

In this particular case, I suspect the problem is that you haven’t got the
libguestfs-tools-c package installed, which is what owns the virt-sparsify
command.  And I found that out with one Google search and one “yum search”
command.

With that package installed, now you can say “man virt-sparsify” to find out
what the CentOS 7 version of that command understands.