On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 09:37:06AM -0400, H wrote:

> >Ah, also, in my .xinitrc (I boot into text mode then run startx I have,
> >above the line calling the window manager
> >
> >export LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8
> >
> >Do you have fcitx-gtk2 and fcitx-gtk3 installed?
> >I repeat, I'm not an expert on this, my skill is in googling and finding
> >out how others got it done, then just copying that and summarizing it. :)
> >

> Thank you, tried that but no difference. I have temporarily deactivated
> Chinese and am just trying to switch between two western languages. Again,
> this works fine in a terminal session but not in any GUI program I tried,
> including firefox, thunderbird, geany.
>
> I do have both fcitx-gtk2 and fcitx-gtk3 installed.
>
> I suspect there may be some configuration setting I have missed but since
> there is no graphical configuration utility it's hard to figure out what
> might be wrong by just looking at the several configuration text files.

What about, from terminal, doing something like
XMODIFIERS=@im=fcitx LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.Big5 GTK_IM_MODULE=fcitx firefox

(the zh_TW.Big5 is just a guess, one that I saw googling lc_ctype for
Chinese.).
These are just guesses on my part. I've not had a similar issue, save for
the firefox thing on FreeBSD that I mentioned.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6