Hello,

On Fri, 4 Aug 2017 13:24:08 +0200 Andreas Benzler <andr...@benzlerweb.de> wrote:

> Ok you in Grub press tab and then add „3“ after the initrd entry …. quiet…“
>
> yum remove xorg-x11-drv-nouveau
>
> And see if X11 come up with standard frambuffer…
>
> Disable nouveau complete from kernel if the upper not helps.
>
> nano /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-nouveau.conf
>
> blacklist nouveau

I yum-removed xorg-x11-drv-nouveau, but system will still hang after
gfx login.

After I log in, the mouse is shown on the grey wallpaper, and nothing more.
If I attempt to switch to a text tty: mouse is gone, same wallpaper, and no
more control on mouse or keyboard, this looks like a video/Xorg issue.
Xorg.log shows that it loads the Intel module but still looks for the nouveau
one:

[     6.565] (II) LoadModule: "nouveau"
[     6.565] (WW) Warning, couldn't open module nouveau
[     6.565] (II) UnloadModule: "nouveau"
[     6.565] (II) Unloading nouveau
[     6.565] (EE) Failed to load module "nouveau" (module does not exist, 0)

Second attempt: blacklisted nouveau kernel module -> nouveau still
shows in `lsmod` after reboot (w/ a non-ml kernel), wft? But Xorg.log
doesn't mention nouveau anymore, success? No, it still hangs w/ ml
kernel.

====

After all this, I wanted to get back to kernel 3.10, to see now that
nouveau is off, if that changes something. Well this is a surprise,
everything works fine w/ this 3.10.0-514.26.2.el7.x86_64 kernel
(suspend/hibernate/wifi/hmdi-out/dell keys/vmware) BUT the bluetooth
(and the dell fn+radioswitch key).

I re-installed drv-nouveau, removed the blacklist file
from /etc/modprobe.d and all is still OK, but Xorg doesn't loads
nouveau driver despite the fact that lsmod shows the nouveau kernel
module (I checked, during my former attempts w/ this 3.10 kernels, it
was already the case: Xorg not loading drv nouveau).

IOW this whole topics turns into something more complex (call that a
mess?) ;-) and I don't understand how it could not work w/ regard to
these laptop features and how it works now.

I'm willing to help w/ the experimental or ML 4.x series kernels, but
in terms of personal productivity, I will also focus on solving the
bluetooth issue w/ 3.10 kernel.

Regards,

wwp