On 11/15/2017 07:50 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
On 11/15/2017 10:35 AM, Frank Thommen wrote:

I tried with the files
  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
  /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
and with entries
  blacklist mlx5_core
  blacklist mlx5_ib

The "blacklist" entries prevent a module being loaded by its alias
(typically a PCI ID), but not from being loaded if something explicitly
loads it by module name.  Most likely, those modules are included in
your initrd.

I'd suggest using the entries described above, and editing grub.conf to
add arguments to the kernel command line:
    rd.driver.blacklist=mlx5_core rd.driver.blacklist=mlx5_ib
... then rebuilding your initrd using "dracut --force"

Thanks for the hint. However as this should only be a temporary measure and needs to be done on ca. 100 hosts I'm not sure if we want to go through the hassles. Deploying a textfile is no problem, but creating new initrds for differing hardware....

frank