On 12/03/2017 11:10 PM, Phil Perry wrote:
On 04/12/17 00:38, John R Pierce wrote:
On 12/3/2017 4:22 PM, Gregory P. Ennis wrote:
I have not been able to get it to work Centos 7.4 machine.  Some of the
  centos user posts had indicated the nux repsitory had a Centos 7 kmod-
wl, but it is not present when I tried to search or or install it at
this time.

this looks potentionally helpful

http://elrepo.org/tiki/wl-kmod

it appears those are closed source drivers with funky licenses, so
they can't just be redistributed without assumption of liability.

Correct, elrepo isn't able to freely redistribute the drivers due
Broadcom's licensing, but does provide instructions and a SRPM (minus
tarball) for you to build yourself.

That's what I have to do, and it can sometimes be a PITA because a kernel update can break it and you have to build it again.

With major updates (like 7.3 to 7.4) you sometimes have to download a new nosrc rpm.

Alternatively, for $8 you can purchase an adaptor that is natively
supported and will work out of the box:

https://www.amazon.com/Edimax-EW-7811Un-150Mbps-Raspberry-Supports/dp/B003MTTJOY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512370979&sr=8-1&keywords=edimax+n150

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833315091&cm_re=edimax_n150-_-33-315-091-_-Product

The above adaptor is based on the Realtek RTL8188CUS chipset and uses
the rtl8192cu kernel driver.

At some point I will be replacing mine, but with a low-profile PCI-E card. I've had bad luck with USB wifi adapters, sometimes for example they lose connection when a microwave is turned on and when I was visiting my parents, had one that lost connection whenever the AC unit kicked on.

My best wifi experience in Linux has been with my T series thinkpad, it uses some kind of Intel wireless chipset that is in the kernel.

I'm going to be looking for a low profile Intel PCI-E card, but for now my broadcom PCI-E actually works quite well - with the exception of needing to rebuild every now and then (last time was 7.3 to 7.4 update)