On 06/08/18 15:26, m.r...@5-cent.us wrote:
Valeri Galtsev wrote:
On 06/08/18 13:48, m.r...@5-cent.us wrote:
Frank Cox wrote:
so if it would work, replace shortname with short and short1?

With all of this hokey-pokey surrounding licensing and mac addresses, I
wonder if this outfit is actually still in compliance with the terms of
their license for this software, whatever it may be?

If the software licensed to run only on Machine X and Machine X has now
been junked and replace by Machine Y,  then isn't the solution to
obtain a license for the software for Machine Y or be out-of compliance
regardless of the technical ability to spoof whatever it's looking for?

Frank, I 100% agree with you. The only case with spoofed MAC address and
license that may have chance to stand in court will be if all below are
true:

1. the company issued perpetual license.
2. the company does not exist
3. the original hardware died (be it motherboard whose embedded NIC
license was locked to or network card)
4. single replacement machine (meeting requirements of license;
sometimes it is number of CPUs/cores, memory, etc) is used to replace it
[imminently needing to spoof MAC address]
5. fair effort was made to find and notify about the above whoever
inherited rights of dissolved company

But I bet the lawyer can find flaws in what I tried to say.

Both users' old workstations were at least 6 years old, maybe more. They
got surplused (I'm the one who did that). So it's only on the two machines
that the licenses were for. But.... I assume it was very expensive when
they bought it.

On a similar note: one of the companies whose software scientists here
were using a lot (IDL is a product) changed hand several times, and last
owner changed licensing terms and stopped signing perpetual licenses.
With perpetual license you were able to keep upgrading software during
support period, usually 1 year, and keep using last version later
forever only you are locked to that older version. They stopped signing
perpetual licenses, and made it "software for rent" with 1 year rent
term. When that happened I recommended all our people to avoid using IDL
in new projects (python was my recommendation as fair replacement - just
what I know, not that I consider it better than other alternatives). As
a programmer (former I should say, as I don't put my dirty hands into
code lately, almost not) I wouldn't invest my time into mastering
something that I not necessarily will have access to at some point in a
future...

Yeah. We have a number of folks here using R, and fewer still using Matlab.

Sounds like your former matlab users are happy with R (bad name, BTW, try to search...). Thanks, I will know now what to mention as alternative if it will be about matlab!

Valeri

         mark

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator