On Aug 21, 2018, at 1:27 PM, Nataraj <incoming-cen...@rjl.com> wrote:

> I have a web application which uses sudo to invoke python scripts as the
> user under which the application runs (NO root access).

Why is the web app not running with that user’s permissions in the first place?

If your answer is that it needs root access to bind to port 80, there are two
common solutions:

1. Start the service as root, set up the port 80 listener, then drop privileges
internally with getpwent(“myuser”) and setuid(my_uid).

2. Use an HTTP[S] proxy server, such as Apache with mod_proxy configured.  Bind
the actual web app to localhost and a high-numbered random port, then forward
external port 80 hits to the internal service.  This method has the additional
advantage that you can use the path part of the URL to relieves the web app of
having to serve hits for the static resources — *.js, *.png, *.css… — which can
speed the application up.