On 11/17/2018 06:43 AM, Alice Wonder wrote:
CentOS 7.5 image running on linode.

unbound running on localhost.

Have to use a cron job once a minute to keep /etc/resolv.conf using the localhost for name resolution - whenever NetworkManager gets restarted (usually only a system boot) it gets over-written.

It seems every distro has a different way of preventing NetworkManager from replacing that file.

I found instructions for Fedora that said create /etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/no-dns.conf containing

[main]
dns=none

That doesn't seem to have any effect.

Poking around, I find a file on boot seems to be created called

/var/run/NetworkManager/resolv.conf

It has most of the contents of what ends up in /etc/resolv.conf - except w/o the last line, which just reads rotate in generated /etc/resolv.conf.

It says it's generated by NetworkManager (both /etc/resolv.conf and the one in /var/run/NetworkManager) but neither are specific enough to indicate what is causing them to be created so I can turn it off.

Anyone know how to tell NetworkManager to just not create that file?

Using a cron job to overwrite it once a minute works but there must be a proper way.

I really wish KISS was a design goal when designing system configuration.

Just found this -

# cat dhclient-exit-hooks
echo 'options rotate' >> /etc/resolv.conf

That's where the last line in /etc/resolv.conf is coming from.