On 2019-05-13 16:25, Pete Biggs wrote:
On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 16:20 -0400, Bee.Lists wrote:
On May 13, 2019, at 2:46 PM, Pete Biggs <p...@biggs.org.uk> wrote:

First, the ~ which might not apply to root.

Why do you think that?  '~' is just shell shorthand for user's home
directory.

root quite often isn’t recognized as a proper user.  ~/.bash_profile
isn’t loaded because it’s not a normal login shell when entering
`su`.

If you switch to any other user using 'su', then their .bash_profile
isn't loaded (unless you specify that it's a login shell).

Whole environment of user that invoked su is "inherited" unless it is specified on commend line to get login environment of user one does su into.

 'su'
doesn't mean "super user" it means "substitute user" - the default
happens to be user UID 0.

Thanks Pete! This really needs to be repeated, even though whenever su is mentioned I repeat that to my users that it means "substitute user", but now that you mentioned it here it makes this whole thread clear.

Valeri

Second, it’s a “personal” init file, which also might not pertain to
root.

root is just as much a user as anyone else, albeit one with special
privileges because they are UID 0.

So I can’t assume it’s just another user.

It may not be "just another user", but it *is* a user as much as your
login username is a user. You could assign your own username a UID of
0, and it would have the same privileges as 'root', but it would still
act as your username.  NOTE: doing this is NOT recommended, do not do
it, seriously, do NOT do it.

Going from user to root (su) might not initiate a login shell.  I’m
not clear on this.

Are you logging in? (i.e. typing the username and password at a login
prompt.)  If not, then it's not a login shell.

Isn’t moving from my own user using su, then prompted for password
count as a login?

No. It doesn't. The password prompt is for authentication, not logging
in.

man su doesn’t apply to root with regards to the files loaded up upon
login.

Could you explain what you mean by that.

P.

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator
University of Chicago