Hello isdtor,

On Fri, 24 May 2019 09:33:55 +0100 isdtor <isd...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Leroy Tennison writes:
> > I am going to take a really wild guess and say "Try replacing the outermost
> > quotes with single quotes or escape the double quotes around the numeral
> > 1".  Your second example has double quotes within double quotes and I'm
> > wondering if that's getting rendered as "yum --debuglevel="      1      "
> > install ..." (extra space added for emphasis).
>
> The outermost quotes are not part of the command, they were only a means to
> set off the command typed from the surrounding text.
>
> Single quotes around the option arg don't work either.

In that specific example (--debuglevel="1"), you don't need the quotes.
But, if that's just an example and you really use command-line
arguments that need to be quoted, for instance because they contain
spaces, maybe you could just use \ to protect spaces like:
 # command "a b" c
would become:
 # command a\ b c (2 params)
which is different from:
 # command a b c (3 params)
just escaping the space to prevent bash from considering "a\ b" as two
words).

Also, maybe it's bash completion for yum that is your problem, did you
try disabling yum-specific completion? That would let you still the
ability to use path completion.

Regards,

--
wwp