On 2019-08-07 16:21, mark wrote:
Valeri Galtsev wrote:
On Aug 6, 2019, at 5:41 PM, mark <m.r...@5-cent.us> wrote:

Is there any way, other than installing CUPS on windows, to get the
damn Win laptop to print to my C 6 box, which has CUPS running and a
USB laserjet?

Since forever (ah, about Win 2000) Windows knows UNIX printing. Making
windows box talking to UNIX print server its native language makes the
most robust setup. It is, however not turned on by default. So (adjust to
your version as Microsoft reshuffles location of all the same tools with
ever release):

Control Panel —> Programs and Features —> Enable/disable features

In the long list there is Printing, click on it to expand, and enable LPR
and LPD

AHHHH!!! That I had no clue about (I do *not* do Windows).

Now when creating printer choose to create new local port, choose LPR (or
does it say LPD?) port and give your CUPS server name, and queue name.
The rest is as usual (choose printer driver, I prefer postscript ones).

Dumb question: queue name - is that like printer name, in the CUPS admin
web page?

Yes,correct. Since forever it was called queue name, GUI tools often (or sometimes?) call it printer name, pretty much following M$ tradition. In CUPS web interface on page "Printers" first column title calls it explicitly "Queue name". Incidentally, I use CUPS' own web interface, I never use Linux's print configuration tools (part of Linux admin tools). Well, I used them once somewhere around RedHat 7.1, and was quite unhappy, so I use CUPS web interface:

http://localhost:631

on any Linuxes I have to set up printers on. I highly recommend it.

I hope, this helps.

Valeri

You should be done now. Incidentally, I use CUPS with LPD listening on
the server side, as the last makes the most robust setup for variety of
clients. We have FreeBSD server, and client systems are: FreeBSD, Linux
(CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu), Windows, MacOS.

I hope, this helps.

We'll see when my lady gets back from SC next week. Thanks very much.

     mark

Valeri

Valeri Galtsev
Sr System Administrator