Il 02/08/20 00:42, Mike McCarthy, W1NR ha scritto:
It appears that it is affecting multiple distributions including Debian
and Ubuntu so it looks like the grub2 team messed up. See

https://www.zdnet.com/article/boothole-fixes-causing-boot-problems-across-multiple-linux-distros/

Mike

On 8/1/2020 6:11 PM, Marc Balmer via CentOS wrote:

Am 01.08.2020 um 23:52 schrieb Leon Fauster via CentOS <centos@centos.org>:

Am 01.08.20 um 23:41 schrieb Kay Schenk:
Well misery loves company but still...just truly unfathomable!
Time for a change.

I can only express my incomprehension for such statements!

Stay and help. Instead running away or should I say out of the
frying pan and into the fire? :-)
The thing, RHEL and CentOS not properly testing updates, cost me at minimum 3-4
full working days, plus losses at customer sites.

This is really a huge failure of RHEL and CentOS.

A lot of trust has been destroyed.

Hi Mike,

I'm not interested that the issue is present on Debian, Ubuntu and the others. Currently I'm using CentOS, I'm a CentOS user and currently I'm interested what is happening on CentOS because I have machines that runs CentOS. If the "wrong" patch was not pushed as update so fast (maybe waiting more time before release with more testing to get all cases [yes because when you update grub and depending on the fix you can break a system easily]) there would have been no problem, by the way I prefer wait some days (consider that I can accept the release delay of minor/major release) then break my systems...and without messages on ML announces about this type of problem does not help. Sorry I can't know what and when a packages is updated, why it is updated, what type of problem (CVE) it suffers and do my reasoning for an update process. This is a missing for me but I still use centos and I should not need a RHEL account to access to get advisories and see what applies on CentOS (6,7,8 and Stream).

Many of us, choose CentOS due to its stability and enteprise-ready feature (and because is partially/enterely backed by RH). Due to actual problem, many server and workstation died and it's normal that some user said "A lot of trust has been destroyed." because they placed a lot of trust on the pro-redhat support. On the other side, all of us can fall in error and this is the case (like me that I updated blindy, so its also my fault not only the broken update).

Only one error in many years could not destroy a distro and its stability reputation (I think and correct me if I'm wrong) and I hope it won't happen again.