Olaf Mueller wrote:
Hello,

in my CentOS-Base.repo file there is a line
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch
and yum update said 'nothing to do'. Then I change this line to
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.1/updates/i386 and yum
updates firefox, squid, sos and so on. That happens on two of my
computers, reproducible.

Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?

Changing to 5.1 instead of 5 (which is the default) will result in not getting updates when we move to 5.2.

The fact that is says nothing to do can be caused by cached metadata (and shifting from $releasever to 5.1 will cause that to download over again).

yum clean metadata

 then

yum upgrade

might be better to try.

Also PLEASE REMEMBER ... $releasever is not 5.1 or 5.2 .. it is 5.