on 5-6-2008 2:49 PM [EMAIL PROTECTED] spake the following:
On 5/6/08, Ralph Angenendt <ra+centos AT br-online.de> wrote:
Lanny Marcus wrote:
If there is some place I can check in a yum database or RPM database on
her box, to verify the kernel version that's really installed (probably
the original one), please let me know where that is. Thanks much! Lanny
rpm -qa kernel*

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ rpm -qa kernel*
kernel-headers-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
kernel-2.6.18-8.el5
kernel-2.6.18-53.1.14.el5
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ uname -a
Linux compaq1300.HOMELAN 2.6.18-8.el5 #1 SMP Thu Mar 15 19:57:35 EDT
2007 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$

Ralph: Thank you for the rpm command and the syntax! That confirms
what I have been seeing the past few days, that no updates are
available! The kernel-headers for the latest kernel is there, along
with the latest kernel. However, it is not shown in the GRUB menu when
I boot the box, and, the box boots the old kernel. My knowledge of
Linux, obviously, is very limited. How can I correct this, so the box
will boot the latest kernel? TIA! Lanny
It sounds like the last kernel upgrade didn't finish the %post% scripts. The easiest thing to try would be to rpm -e the new kernel and try a yum upgrade again. Another thing to check... Is there a symlink from /boot/grub/menu.lst to /boot/grub/grub.conf? I have had that on my systems since time began and maybe it is a requirement for things to work right. Just a guess.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and