on 5-15-2008 1:31 PM Simon Jolle sjolle spake the following:
On 05/15/2008 05:27 AM, Nick Fenwick wrote:
For what it's worth, I usually use rar for this task, because I can
figure out the command line in about 10 seconds by running 'rar' with no
arguments and check the help output, and they confuse my Windows-y
friends less if I need to pass them around.  Install rar from rpmforge.

I admit RAR is a file archiver that archives with very high compression
ratios and is very popular in windows world.

But is proprietary software (not Open Source).

I recommend you using 7zip[0] currently leader in high compression on
unix-like systems.

To split a directory of files into roughly 700Mb bits:

rar a -v700000k rarname_to_create.rar dir_of_files

7za a -v700m rarname_to_create.rar dir_of_files

Pre-packaged RPM is available at RPMforge[1]

You just can't beat one thing about tar and gzip on unix like systems -- they all come with it "from the factory".

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and