on 6-6-2008 4:28 PM Ruslan Sivak spake the following:
Dennis McLeod wrote:
They basically detect port
scans and add a firewall rule to temporarily block that ip. Does anyone know what tool that is?

Also disabling remote login as root should help.

Russ

Fail2ban, is what you are looking for, I think....

http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Dennis

Sweet, actually this looks more like what I wanted, but rackspace said wasn't available. This bans the ips if there are a lot of password failures.

There is also another tool which bans ips for port scans. I think it's been discontinued, but perhaps there is another one out there?

Russ
I think that was portsentry.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sentrytools/

--