on 6-7-2008 8:06 AM Alon spake the following:
Hi All,
I have several dozens of CentOS and WhiteBox servers.
Most of them are CentOS 4.6.
Our installation service is done in the datacenter where the servers are located. When we install a fresh clean install, we use the GUI menus, while using the KVMoverIP. That was working great with CentOS 4.x In CentOS 5.x, the installation process 'annonces" that "Hey,. I know you are using a KVM and don't have a monitor attached" (who cares??). But, "since you are using a KVM and no monitor is attached,. you CANNOT use the GUI installation". Why??? 4.x didn't care for this. Why make my life difficult? I have to 'cheat' by calling the datacenter to plug a monitor for the first minute of the install and then plug back the KVM cable.
Isn't this stupid? of course it is!
I am looking for a solution such as a parameter that I can pass to the boot sequence (vga=nommconf or something like that) so that it won't do the probing for the VGA and just let me go about my business. Mind you that this is a problem both with DELL PowerEdge 1950iii with DRAC5 remote consule as well as with just plain PCs that use ATEN KVM 9116. Once the probe understand that we don't use a monitor it prompts the 'can't use the GUI'. Any pointers about this? Thanks, -Sup.
I believe there is a "headless" parameter you can use. I have used it for VNC installs. It might work for you.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and