on 6-18-2008 5:52 AM Johnny Hughes spake the following:
Mike wrote:
Just read on planet centos that you can easily install apt on Centos too using yum.

However, I get :
[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]# yum install apt
Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments
Nothing to do

So not sure what I am missing ..
And sorry if this isn't the right place to ask :)

Linux and CentOS are about choice.

Dag is a CentOS Developer and he does like apt. I'm sure Dag (and others) can help with apt questions here.

That said there are alot of features in yum (like fastestmirror, priorities, installonlyn, and repoquery) that are not available in apt. There are also probably features in apt that are not in yum.

Apt may easy to install and user friendly ... heck, it may even be better than yum, however it is not officially supported. The officially supported way to do updates on CentOS is yum ... and yumex is in the CentOS Extras repo as a GUI based system for updates.

You can certainly ask about apt on CentOS here, though most of the CentOS developers use yum and the QA testing we do is with yum and not apt.

This is not meant to be negative about apt use, just point out that yum is the official way to do updates.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

And I would assume that apt won't be able to update from the CentOS repos.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and