Joseph L. Casale wrote:
Since I was SSHed into the boxes, I could not test ifconfig (down then
up!).

Just so you know, you can do this type of thing even with SSH.
(I don't know what would of helped that situation, but for future ref...)

#echo ifdown eth0 && ifup eth0 | at now

Oh, neat. Didn't know how to do down and up in one command line without writing a script.

through ssh will work fine, and you will still be connected after :)
Not any real difference from doing a service network restart. When your interface goes down, SSH just waits until the interface comes up, and then you get all the messages that occurred between those two events. I am going to have to note this command for future use (it is kind of like an ifbounce command :) ).