Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
Kai Schaetzl wrote:
Rudi Ahlers wrote on Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:10:48 +0200:

/boot shouldn't be mirrored, as the BIOS won't know how to boot it. leave /dev/sdb1 the same size as /dev/sda1 and call it /boot2 and try to remember to copy /boot to /boot2 each time you update the kernel.
I understand this, but how do you boot from /boot2 on the second HDD if the 1st have failed?
You don't (*). I don't understand John's advice here. There is no problem md mirroring /boot. You just need to install grub a second time on the other disk. For that you have to boot from it. (I think I also did it successfully without booting from the other disk in the past, but last time I tried it it didn't want to work like I remembered it should.)

(*) Anyway, you would boot from a Rescue CD or such and rename it ...

Yes, no problems, I had /boot mirrored across 4 drives (NAS box) and
grub installed on each.

If you use labels for /boot in fstab you don't even need to edit fstab
from a rescue CD, just remove the failed first drive and boot.

-Ross

Can you please explain this to me?

I've never used labels before, so if you could maybe show me a sample of how it's setup?

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers

Check out my technical blog, http://blog.softdux.com for Linux or other